Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Small Business Owner

I just completed the first couple of days of work, so I feel i can tell people about what I have spent the past several weeks doing. After talking to two different milking equipment dealers in the area I have found neither one of them has the resources to hire me as a full time employee. But there is plenty of work if I can split up my time and work as an independent contractor. After studying small business models, Australian tax code and consulting with accountants, lawyers, an Australian tax office representative and a small business mentor I have decided to begin my own business. Being an independent contractor is fairly common in Australia and the tax rules make it pretty simple. So far I have WestfaliaSurge dealer about an hour away that wants me to work with him Installing, upgrading and repairing milking equipment in an area from 45min to 1 1/2 hours way from Gold Coast. I would work from home with my own Ute (pickup) and tools but he would stock the parts I need. A second Dealer about 3 hours drive away wants me to come down and work on installing a couple parlors, I would stay for a week and return home on weekends. Third, WestfaliaSurge Australian headquarters based in Melbourne wants hire some of my time as well, I would work at home probably doing over the phone tech support. I will learn more about this option next week when I meet with one of the managers. Hopefully between the three I will be busy and get to see a lot of different milking setups. All I got to do now is save up some money to buy a Ute.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a Ute before. How do you pronounce that word? Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a successful business. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool congratulations sounds exciting and you will learn alot. Arnold

    ReplyDelete